Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Intelligent frugality - the new chic or just cheap?

With the recession continuing to loom in the news (although, I'm not sure how real it is in provinces like Alberta where everyone continues with the busyness plague and packed restaurants), I've been testing ideas for over a year now on ways to save money while still having fun.

The funny thing about focusing on cutting spending, getting a better deal or being more efficient with what you have actually becomes contagious.

There was a time, OK, pretty much my entire life (until a couple of years ago), that I recoiled at the word "frugal". I equated it with cheapness, lack, too much work and basically, just something that wasn't for me.

Boom, now bust, our economy and my consumer advocacy role in the media recently has forced me to economize to teach my readers, viewers and listeners how to save money.

However, over the past year or so of living what I preach, I've discovered that there's an enormous difference between being frugal (or use whatever adjective you'd like for the down right thrifty), and being smart about saving money - what I call Intelligent Frugality.

So, over the summer months, I'm going to share with you my tips and insights for saving money and time but with a more educated & playful spin.

Stay tuned!

No comments: