Monday, May 17, 2010

Be cautious when using your credit card at gas station pumps

On a recent trip to Toronto, I had to gas up my rental car. To avoid an umbrella-less dash to the store during a rain storm, I thought I'd just use my credit card at the self-serve pump. I inserted my MasterCard and the clerk chimed in over the loud speaker, "the credit card option isn't working - you'll have to pay inside."

So I did, paid with cash, thought nothing of it and went about my day. Until, I received an email alert (my MasterCard sends me an email alert when there's a transaction on my account) for a $100 purchase. I called MasterCard to find out what the charge was and they told me it was ESSO, the gas station putting a hold on my account. Even though the machine supposedly didn't work.

Again, I thought nothing of it and went about my life. Today, I logged onto my account and saw there was a $25 charge from the date in question. I called MasterCard and after a reasonable amount of time (but still a wasted 20 minutes of my life), they're reversing that charge with follow-up proof of my cash paid receipt.

I'll definitely think twice about using my credit card at a self-serve pump in the future and also a reminder to keep all receipts.

No comments: