Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Finding a mentor

I'm often asked, how does one go about finding a mentor, in life or in business? We all know the value of locating such a prized individual where we, as a humble protege, through osmosis simply being around such a person will propel our career to new heights.

So, the question begs, when one is simply starting out in life and has nothing to offer (career wise for example) in order to attract such a guru, and just when one needs this guidance most, where does one find a mentor?

I have indeed been blessed with a number of coaches, teachers and individuals on my career path that took me under their wing. Some great advice here, some axioms of life there, but my greatest mentors of all, I have yet to meet most of them.

My current mentor, a best-selling author and writer with The New Yorker, is one Mr. Malcolm Gladwell. I have yet to meet him but feel I know him intimately. I have just finished his third book, Outliers and of course, have read nearly everything he's written and watched every YouTube video published.

Mentors are all around us. I think the simplest way to locate the most brilliant minds and custom-tailored mentors for you and I exist at book stores, libraries, on the Internet (check out the TED speakers). One doesn't need to wait a lifetime for thier personal guru to come along or even meet these great teachers and leaders in person. Their genius, their experiences and successes, for us to reap, exists (and for free) at our convenience. So dust off that library card and get ready to meet the greatest minds of all time - they're waiting for you!

No comments: