Monday, February 16, 2009

Remembering how wealthy you actually are

How quickly we often forget. We dream about a better job, spouse, more money and so the list continues. Then, as we slowly achieve some or all of our past hopes, when we get there, armed with a new list of loftier goals, do we remember what we've achieved? Do we pause and think back to the time when we "wanted" the things we might now be complaining about?

I was in the longest security line ever on my way home from New York on the weekend. To say that I was tired would be a grand understatement. Not sure if I was even going to make my plane and therefore my other connection (which was still getting me home near midnight), I was mildly miffed by the line that seemed longer than the traffic on the George Washington bridge.

Shifting, complaining in my head and bursts of deep exhalation were all that could get me through my impatience and saved me from actually screaming out loud (which would likely get me kicked out of the airport in a hurry.) Instead of reflecting back on my week at CNBC and the utter dream it was just a few months and years ago, I instead, chose to focus on the present, but for all the wrong reasons.

If I wasn't annoyed enough, a small child behind me bumped into me and knocked me out of my stupor-like state. She couldn't have been more than three or four years old, and was so well behaved that I hadn't even realized she was behind me the entire time. As she was started to get tired and bored as well, instead of complaining she started entertaining (herself and others.) This little girl who's mom explained was far overdue for a nap, started, of all things, not throwing a temper tantrum, screaming or all of the other things a young girl might do standing in a non air conditioned line for too long. She started singing, "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands"...you know the song I'm sure. And each time she sang a line, she insisted that her mom join in with the requested clapping of hands or stomping of feet.

I decided to join along too. Funny thing about a song like that is it took me back to a place of utter childhood joy and careless freedom. I couldn't get the bloody song out of my head the rest of the trip and, actually enjoyed the rest of the journey. It took the innocence of song to remind me of the most precious of all things; gratitude; for where were are in life, where we've come from and the excitement of what's next.

I can gladly report that the line seemed to whiz by after the sing-a-long, I made all of my flights, received an upgrade from the dreaded middle seat and my connecting flight was made. Proof that song works or happiness is a state of mind? Not new. Frighteningly simple. Yet amazingly profound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So True! We really have nothing to complain about, even with the financial turmoil going on... we are still much better off than 80% of the rest of the world. Great article Kell!! :)