Thursday, April 23, 2009

CTV April 20th appearance - opulence on a dime & simple home renovations during recessionary times

On Monday, I offered CTV viewers some ideas of how to be the depressed feeling many Canadians have during these recessionary times.

I like to call it opulence on a dime. Okay, it may cost a little more than that, but with a little creativity, you too can indulge in some simple luxury without breaking the bank.

Idea #1: Turn your bathroom into a spa

Consider adding fresh flowers, the best toilet tissue, new fluffy towels and anything that reminds you of a spa or great hotel. I love folding the tab of my toilet tissue and sealing it with a sticker. It makes me think of the best hotels I've stayed in (see pictures below.)

Idea #2: Simple pampering

Can't afford a trip to the spa for a pedicure or facial? Book a spa night with yourself and do it at home! The products needed for multiple treatments won't set you back nearly what one visit to the pro's will and you'll have enough for months of indulging. Or, if you need the real thing, try visiting a local beauty school. The students get a chance to practice and you'll get your treatment at a fraction of the price.

Idea #3: Don't skimp on the small stuff

When it comes to chocolates, ice-cream, wine and the like, ensure to indulge on the good stuff. Save money on your large purchases, but treat yourself on the small ones. Instead of buying a dozen of roses, why not buy two and tear the petals off and put them in your bath and scatter them on the floor leading to your tub?

Idea #4: Feng shui your way to prosperity

Whether you believe in the concept or not, creating a lovely environment in your home feels good, especially when the world out there is a little rough. Candles, a relaxing CD, a small water fountain or a fresh coat of paint are all low cost ideas for bringing luxury home.

Here's a few ideas for your home:


This only takes a few minutes and spells luxury to me! Plus, that floor you see was a weekend project of mine. I ripped out the existing linoleum that was old and lifting and replaced it with this simply to install stick tile that cost me less than $23 for the entire floor!



New, crisp towels make a powder room special!
I purchased the little basket from London Drugs for $2.99 and like rolling up the towels for the spa-like effect. And these gerbs only set me back $4 and have lasted over two weeks.

Fresh flowers are a delight to see in a bathroom. As a design element for this wall, I painted diamonds vertically. Last year, I painted stripes along the wall. Not only is paint simpler to change than wall paper, it takes a fraction of the time, effort and cost. To paint your own, simply trace out a square with a tile and use painter's tape to tape off the outside of the diamond and give the inside two coats of paint. Voila!

This was a very old door in terrible shape. I thought of replacing it, but tried sprucing it up first and am delighted with the results. As you can see, a fresh coat of paint, some diamonds for fun and a new handle ($20) saved a great deal of time and money by not having to purchase and install a new door.
This last picture truly doesn't do my window justice. This window faces north and right into my neighbour's house. Instead of cutting off the much needed light for my dining room and to save on purchasing a blind, I found this fantastic product that gives the look of frosted glass and with this particular one, frosted with etched lace. The entire window treatment cost was about $20. I found it at my local Home Depot.
Have fun this spring indulging and be sure to send me your cost saving ideas!

No comments: